Does filter change = re-cycling?

Talk about tank set ups, aquascaping, tank cycling, substrate here.

Does filter change = re-cycling?

Postby driftingchick101 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:27 am

I've had a small 2.5 gal tank set up for about 2 months now to cycle. The tank contains 1 black molly to help the cycling along however she will be removed when my 5 crystal red shrimp get here. Anyway, I was having trouble finding a suitable filter to fit such a small tank and I ended up having to go with a medium size sponge filter as that was all my LFS had however it takes up 1/3 of the tank and I really NEED to downsize before my shrimp arrive (in about 2 days). I just so happened to find a smaller filter yesterday and set it up (sponge filter is still in tank and functioning also). I know that cycling the "tank" is technically cycling the filter (not the tank or water) to allow a good growth of beneficial bacteria before adding fish/shrimp. This may be a silly question but should I keep the sponge filter and new filter in the tank until the new filter is cycled? If so, is the length of cycling going to be the same as setting up a brand new tank? I feel like I should keep both filters in the tank until the new one is cycled. My shrimp will be here within a few days so I need to figure this out or I will just leave the sponge filter in until the other is cycled. Thanks for your help.

Jenn
driftingchick101

Re: Does filter change = re-cycling?

Postby hanna23 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:47 am

Jenn,
Yes....for sure leave the old filter in the tank until you think the new one is cycled. TO be safe, I would leave the old one in the tank for a month.

If you take the old filter out now, there goes the good bacteria and your tank would go out of cycle.

Good look and write back to let me know how the crystal reds look. I LOVE those shrimp.
Hanna
hanna23

Re: Does filter change = re-cycling?

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:51 pm

Hanna,
Thanks for the advice. I will definitely leave it in. I was thinking about a month also. I've had the tank set up since mid July and have been looking for a smaller filter since and haven't been able to find one so I gave up and decided to just keep the sponge filter. So I ordered my shrimp and the very next day I find the smaller filter. Go figure. :shock: Thanks again!

Jenn

Return to Shrimp Tank Setup