Small while worms in the tank !

Discuss ongoing maintenance, water testing, water changes here.

Small while worms in the tank !

Postby Hoang » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:24 pm

Just recovery that was some small white worms swim at very bottom of my shrimp tank after sat there last night , it look so nasty . Do any one in here have any ideas to get rid of those worms ? Thanks in advance !
Hoang

Re: Small while worms in the tank !

Postby dragonfly » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:22 pm

How long are they?
dragonfly

Postby Hoang » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:19 am

It's very small 1/3 - 1/2 cm , they're usually come out at night .
Hoang

Postby pammyBABY » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:23 pm

Hi,

It's possible you are seeing detritus worms, which multiply exponentially if there's any excess food in the detritus in the bottom of the tank, I had them in one tank and spent a loooooong time trying to find the answer to what they were and finally decided that's what mine were. They are long gone, but I have noticed them appearing in a cup I keep snails in if I overfeed the snails!

Here is a great page w/info on a lot of worm & wormlike creatures, detritus worms are listed about 2/3 down on the page:

aquarium-pond-answers.com/2007/03/trematodes-and-nematodes-in-fish.html

Not trying to change your subject, but thought I'd ask here about some other white worms I've found (altho when they crawl out of the waterline at the top they are pinkish/red, in the ater the appear white. They are much longer, and swim like an eel (in the "s" shaped way, not sure if I'm explaining that right). They can be anywhere from 7mm to almost two centimeters.

Another difference between the two I found is that the detritus worms climb up the glass, but don't really swim like the other ones do, they they do curl as they fall down in the water if you disturb them off the side of the tank as they are climbing up.

Hope this helps,

Pam
pammyBABY

Return to Shrimp Tank Maintenance