orange sakuras trouble moulting

The place to discuss feeding, dietary concerns, health issues.

orange sakuras trouble moulting

Postby eabfish » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:39 pm

Hello...I was hoping for some advice regarding my new Orange Sakuras. I ordered 10 on 10/10, acclimating them according to the directions. They never really seemed to do well...not moving, not eating, and slowly dying off in the ensuing 7-10 days until I was left with 3 that acted normal. I decided to try again and recently ordered 10 more. One arrived DOA. I decided to drip acclimate them on 10/30. They appeared to settle in nicely...active, feeding,etc. Then starting this week I've been losing one here and there. Each shrimp I find dead has a clear spot/crack up by its saddle like it's trying to moult. I've provided my tank params below. Any help would be much appreciated, as I don't want to lose any more. Incidentally, I also have 5 blue velvets in a separate tank who are doing very well with the same management and water conditions.

Tank is a 10 gallon heavily planted, substrate: organic dirt, capped with pool sand and gravel (est. 4 months ago)
Amm: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH 7.8
GH: 10
KH: 6/7
Temp: 73/74
Diet: Hikari algae wafers and NLS crustacean
I use Fluorish complete once weekly at far below the recommended dose (0.3 mL)
25% weekly water change, aged water
eabfish

Re: orange sakuras trouble moulting

Postby dragonfly » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:16 pm

Hi,
I had the same problem last year.

Found out I was doing 2 things wrong. I was WAY overfeeding protein (which was in algae wafers)... and keeping temps too high.
What was happening, was the protein and high temps were causing them to grow too fast and their exoskeleton couldn't keep up. So in the end, the crack on the back was the exoskeleton.

They died when they tried to molt.
dragonfly

Re: orange sakuras trouble moulting

Postby eabfish » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:58 am

Thanks dragonfly for the reply. So what do you feed your shrimp? At what temp do you run your tanks? I have a small hydor heater (25 W I think) and, even when set on the lowest setting, it keeps the tank between 72-74. I could pull the heater, but that means the tank temp would be around 68.
eabfish

Return to Shrimp Wellness/Illness