Shopping Cart
0 item added.
The Shrimp Farm, Aquariums  Dealers, Bloomington, IL



Understanding Temperature: In A Shrimp Tank

Understanding Temperature: In A Shrimp Tank


Fluval Thermometer Fluval Thermometer

Understanding Temperature and how it affects your dwarf shrimp tank is often overlooked. What is the ideal temperature for a dwarf shrimp tank? That is a loaded question and cannot be answered with a set number.

Shrimp are poikilothermic meaning their body temperature varies with that of the temperature in their surrounding environment. With that being said your shrimp tanks temperature directly influences how your dwarf shrimp will live its life. Feeding, Breeding, and overall movement of your shrimp is impacted all based on your tanks temperature.

Colder Water

When dwarf shrimp are kept in a cooler water much like 71 F and below, they began to "slow down". At this lower temperature you will see a decreased growth rate in adult, sub-adult, and shrimplets. Depending on the species of shrimp and how low the actual tank  temperature, breeding can be slowed down or stop all together.

The benefits of keeping your shrimp tank at a lower temperature are, a decreased chance of a bacterial infection. This is strictly experienced based on our end, we have simply seen a dramatic decreased in bacterial infections when the shrimp are kept in an aquarium with lower then 72 F.

Warmer Water

Keeping dwarf shrimp in warmer water 71 F and above will increase growth rates substantially. In our experience we have seen growth rates peak at about 77 F. Meaning after 77 F growth rate is not affected or "increased" by a measurable amount. Often times keeping shrimp at a temperature above 77 F will lead you into many problems.

In warmer water dwarf shrimp will grow more quickly than they would otherwise, and this can sometime cause issues in that they cannot adapt to their molting process as quickly as they need to. This then can cause a failed molt and a dead shrimp. (a helpful article to read to understand the shrimp molting process is, Shrimp Tank Water Changes).

Molting issues can be somewhat avoided if parameters within the tank can still meet your shrimps needs, however as your tank temperature rises, failed molts become more of an issue. With warmer water also comes an increased risk of other health issues such as bacterial infections, and increased breeding production of aquarium pests such as Planaria.

Final Considerations

Keeping dwarf shrimp at a normal room temperature much like that your home is often set at (68-74 F), is generally ideal for both keeping and breeding of shrimp. Temperature should not be something that keeps you awake at night worrying about your prized shrimp, however you should be mindful of it and have basic knowledge in how it affect your shrimp.

At The Shrimp Farm we do not heat 90% of our tanks, other than with our standard furnace system in the building and A/C unit in the summer. The other 10% of the time we heat tanks to run experiments, increase breeding/matting for a short period, or just on an as needed basis for cold spots in our shrimp rooms.

"Keep on Shrimpin"


"America's Favorite Shrimp Guy"

Ryan Curtis

3 thoughts on “Understanding Temperature: In A Shrimp Tank”

  • Morgan Jameson

    How cold a water temp can freshwater shrimp tolerate? I ask not because I'm raising them, but I'm a writer, and have some characters try to raise freshwater shrimp in a lake in the Yukon. In the book, I have them going belly-up right away. Ryan Curtis - does this make sense?

  • Samer Elayan

    Thanks for the nice information
    In my area the temperature in the summer is about 19 in the day and 8 in the night , in the winter its 5 in the day and 0 in the night
    How can I heat the tanks , what is the cheapest way
    Can you help please ?

  • […] You should bear in mind that this floater thrives at a lower temperature (72 – 76°F) which is also beneficial for breeding shrimp, because this temperature range decreases the chance of bacterial infections. […]

Leave a Reply